Mr. El-Rufai made the announcement during a statement and on his official Twitter handle on Wednesday. I am delighted to report today, that after nearly four weeks of observing a strict medical regime. I even have now received the all-clear after two consecutive negative test results.
“I thank Almighty Allah for His grace and mercy. I also acknowledge with gratitude the huge outpouring of sympathy, prayers, and public support that followed the disclosure of the infection,” he said.
The governor added that his family went through the trauma of potentially losing a family member and being infected, but remained supportive.
“My family not only went through the trauma of potentially losing a member but also the danger of being infected also. the entire family has been supportive as usual, while my many friends and colleagues from everywhere the world have sent their prayers and best wishes.”
While he commended the medical personnel of Ministry of Health and the and the Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital who managed his case with “professional care”, the governor expressed happiness at the recovery of 4 other COVID-19 patients.
I am delighted by the recovery of 4 other COVID-19 cases who were discharged last week which was followed yesterday with the discharge of a fifth patient.
“On Monday, we received the sad news of three more positive cases in Kaduna State. they will receive the best care that our dedicated health professionals can muster and we wish them a speedy recovery from COVID-19,” he said.
The governor noted that the state features a lower infection rate than expected thanks to stringent measures imposed by the government. But we cannot let our guards down. We are in dangerous times. This disease may be a threat to our humanity, our lives, and our livelihoods. As someone that has experienced it, I will not wish it on my worst enemy.
“We must reiterate that an infected person can show no symptoms as I did, for up to 2 weeks, while unknowingly infecting others close to him or even through casual contact.”
He further admonished residents of the state to stick to the health advisory issued by the Ministry of Health.
Compulsory use of face masks
Mr. El-Rufai also announced the compulsory use of face masks for everybody going out. This is whilst he said the government would make the masks available free of charge to the poor.
“I have issued another amendment to the Quarantine Regulations requiring everyone within the State to wear a mask when going out of the house or workplace for any reason.
“The government is going to make these masks available free to the poor and vulnerable groups, and encourage everyone that can afford it to urge their neighborhood tailor to sew cloth masks for their use.
This may help protect them, their loved ones, and everyone else from the spread of this disease,” he said.
The number of COVID-19 cases has been on the rise across the country. As of Tuesday, the NCDC announced a complete of 782 cases including 25 deaths.